Unit 2: Slavery, Antebellum Era, & Civil War
Essential Questions for the Unit
1. What were the economic, social, religious, and legal justifications for slavery in the antebellum period?
2. How did the Haitian Revolution impact the enslaved in America and ultimately lead to westward expansion?
3. In what ways was the institution of slavery a factor in the creation of nationalism and sectionalism?
4. How did black institutions develop and function in the decades before the Civil War?
5. How did the lives enslaved people differ on plantations, small farms, rural areas, urban area? What specific difficulties did the enslaved face based on gender, skill set, and age?
6. How did government policies and societal attitudes change toward slavery during the Civil War?
7. How did black soldiers contribute to the outcome of the war?
8. What is the impact of the legacy of slavery in American society today?
NC Essential Standards For Unit 2
AS.C&G.1.2Analyze the relationship between African-Americans and other groups in terms of conflict and cooperation in the pursuit of individual freedoms and civil rights.
AAS.C&G.1.3Analyze political, constitutional and legal decisions and de facto practices to understand their impact on the lives of African Americans.
AAS.C&G.1.4Explain how various philosophies and ideologies have played a role in the African American struggle for social, political and legal equality.
AAS.C&G.1.5Analyze civic participation of African Americans in terms of leadership and strategic planning at various levels.
AAS.C.1.1Analyze the impact of assimilation, stereotypes, and oppression on the lives of African Americans.
AAS.C.1.2Analyze ways in which African Americans have retained cultural identity over time while adapting to mainstream American culture.
AAS.C.1.4Analyze the various cultural practices that have shaped the individual and collective identity of African Americans over time to understand shared and differing experiences.
AAS.E.1.1Analyze the economic development of African American groups and communities in terms of challenges to standard of living.
AAS.E.1.2Explain how economic policies have impacted the socio-economic status of African Americans.
AAS.E.1.3Analyze various geographic, cultural, social, political, and financial factors in terms of their impact on the economic mobility of African Americans.
AAS.H.2.2Explain how key historical figures have shaped the lives of African Americans.
AAS.H.2.3Explain how various forms of resistance by individuals and groups have influenced change in the lives of African Americans.
- Unit 2 Key Concept Sheet
Unit 2 Handout, Worksheets, & DBQ
Unit 2 Quizlet